Setting an Intention


For this challenge we will all do the same meditation.
Om Gan Ganapatye Namaha (Ganesh Mantra)
Try and do the meditation first thing in the morning
Chanting the Mantra will take about 8 minutes - plus a few minutes of silence.


Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 05 - Timing

I've had a couple of people ask me 'How do I know when the time is up'. I usually have a clock handy and tend to open up an eye and take a peak now and then. After a while you get to sense the time, although some days it could drag and other days it seems to go faster.
Here are some tips you could use.
a) If you are listening to music you could choose a song or music that is same length as your desired meditation. Enya songs for example are 3-4 minutes. If you are doing a Kundalini Yoga Chant you can download music that is 11 minutes and sing along with it. That is what I am doing right now so when the music stops, I know I'm done.
b) Use a timer - I haven't done this personally but you might like it. This would be good if you are doing a silent or breathing meditation.
c) If you are doing Kirtan Kriya which involves Chanting out loud, whispering and being silent I found it really helpful to tape myself first and then when I was doing the meditation I followed along so I didn't have to worry about the timing at all. You could also do this with other meditations - tape yourself at the beginning - maybe with an affirmation, then let the tape play for 3 minutes and then speak back into the tape, thanking yourself for doing your meditation. Something like that - then you have your own gentle voice at the end.

Note: Some meditations that require a certain focus may not be suitable to have music in the background - it might distract you. e.g. Sat Kriya, or counting your breath etc.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Marie, and fellow meditators(apparently not a real word.. I feel it fits) .
    I'm doing the Smiling Buddha. So far so good. I haven't been doing a set time though, which perhaps could deepen my practice. I do feel my heart warming, and expanding while I'm doing the meditation, and a sense of being more grounded.
    Hope it's going well for everyone.
    Oh and so far i peak at the time;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stefanie, Thanks for checking in. I love the Smiling Buddha one!

    ReplyDelete